Seafood Guide for the Paleo Diet
As a company, we believe in eating from the source. The Paleo lifestyle encourages "real" and unprocessed foods, including all-sustainable seafood.
What is Paleo?
In its simplest form, it's about modeling your diet like a homo sapien from the Paleolithic Era. The modern caveman or cavewoman.
Lots of vegetables and fruits, grass-fed meat and of course, sustainable seafood.
Unlike most fad diets, Paleo acknowledges that we all need a little wiggle room in our life to enjoy meals with friends, company happy hours, and birthday cake. The 85:15 rule allows 3 non-Paleo meals a week, while encouraging healthy choices for all meals.
For us, choosing Paleo is about just that -- healthier choices. It might take more meal planning, but eating Paleo is also a chance to be more creative and adventurous in what we feed ourselves and our families.
Seafood for the Paleo Eater
All of the raw seafood on our site is Paleo-friendly, sustainably harvested, and incredibly nutrient-dense. It's power food to sustain both your mind and body.
- Oysters - Loaded with omega 3's, zinc, calcium and vitamin E.
- Sashimi - Try wild Alaskan salmon and Tombo Hawaiian albacore tuna served raw to taste the freshness.
- Clams & Mussels - High levels of iron and vitamin B-12.
- Lobster & Crab - Low cholesterol, high in vitamins A and B, magnesium and potassium.
- Shrimp & Scallops - Great source of omega 3 fatty acids and lean protein.
The Whole Beast
- Pacific Sardines - Double the calcium of milk, loads of iron and protein.
- Pacific Squid - Lean protein with zinc and vitamin B-12.
- Whole Alaskan Salmon
- Canned Albacore Tuna - No preservatives or additives, just sustainable albacore for easy lunches.
- Wild Salmon Ikura - Ikura, or salt-brined salmon roe, contain the highest level of omega 3s found in any food.
To get started, check out our favorite site for more information and recipe inspiration:
Nom Nom Paleo - Lots of recipes with mouth-watering photos. Kid-friendly recipes too!
Paleo Magazine - Great articles and recipes.
Nerd Fitness Guide to Paleo - Beginners' guide to Paleo.
The Paleo Diet - The original site on the Paleo Diet with great resources on the science of foods.
Here's to eating well and feeling great.